1/2 Photos of Creamless Penne Pasta Primavera With Olive Oil and Garlic
Entered for safe-keeping. I am searching for a recipe closest to the creamless pasta primavera that used to lure me to a local restaurant (until the chef left). This version by Chef George Krumov seems very close. For non-vegetarians, make this a complete meal by adding (per person) 1 grilled chicken breast cut into 1-1/2-inch long strips or 1/4 pound cooked shelled shrimp (31-40 count/pound).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons sea salt or 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets, precooked
- 1 carrot, cut into 1-inch sticks, precooked
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 cup beef broth (optional) or 1 fluid ounce dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese or grated grana padano, passed separately
- 1Bring 4 quarts of water with 2 tablespoons salt to a boil in a large pot and cook dry penne pasta to desired doneness per package directions. (Only 2.8 quarts -- 2.5 liters -- of water are required, but with the smaller amount of water, it would take longer for the water to return to a boil once the pasta is added.).
- 2Meanwhile, precook broccoli florets and carrots. If boiling in water, boil for 3-5 minutes and check for doneness with fork. Otherwise, vegetables can be steamed. Once cooked, transfer vegetables to ice water to halt cooking and preserve bright color, then drain. Set aside until step 4.
- 3In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil 1 minute or until hot and saute the onion and garlic until lightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add the vegetables and saute until the peppers are soft, about 2 minutes.
- 5Deglaze with the beef broth, if using, or just a splash (1 fluid ounce) of dry white wine.
- 6Add the drained penne noodles and basil and season to taste.
- 7Toss well and serve immediately with some freshly grated Parmesan or Grana di Padano cheese on the side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamless Penne Pasta Primavera With Olive Oil and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (1314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.6
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3579.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 13.1 g