Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Tofu, voila! Just a little (huge!) batch soup I put together when I was in excess of celery. An addition of potato might make this even smoother. Hold the parmesan for vegetarian.
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package lite silken firm tofu
- 2 medium onions, chopped (10 ounces)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb celery, leaves and ribs, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 8 -10 cups fat-free vegetable broth (thickness to your liking)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- parmesan cheese, for serving
- Treat a large non-stick stockpot with cooking spray. Heat the garlic and onions over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until onions begin to soften.
- Add celery, broth (reserving 1/4 cup), and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree the tofu in a food processor along with reserved broth. Ensure that the tofu is totally smooth!
- Once the celery is softened, remove the bay leaves from the soup, and use an immersion blender (or perform batches to the food processor) to puree the celery and onions.
- With the soup on the stovetop over medium low heat, add the smooth tofu, white pepper, hot sauce, and lemon juice. Heat gently before serving.
- Top with parmesan cheese and additional hot sauce as you like!
Really good, especially considering how inexpensive and healthy it is. I didn't use quite as much garlic because I was almost out. I also had to sub red wine vinegar for the lemon juice. I didn't puree the tofu seperately, just added it to the soup and used my immersion blender. Makes a great lunch with a piece of good quality toasted bread. Thanks for posting.
Fantastic and so easy! I think I found something that even my boyfriend wants to make (and he hates the kitchen). Thank you so much!
Hey I am so going to try this recipe but I was wanting to thank you for the review and pic you left on my dorritos casserole recipe after looking at your profile and seen you love health food I thought you wouldn't have liked it lol...I was wondering what you had served on the side?...It looked so pretty and colorful....If you want my e-mail is Baby_doll_74@hotmail.com thanks agian....ohh and I made the tuna melt you suggested and it was so so so good!!! thanks again! leigh