Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A very quick and easy amazingly low in carb soup for potatoes that is low in fat. Great tasting and low in fat and calories
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable)
- 3 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups diced potatoes (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans low sodium chicken broth (10 3/4 oz each)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- shredded cheese (to garnish)
- parsley (to garnish)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add celery, potatoes, onion and garlic; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until celery is crisp-tender.
- Add broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Place half the soup mixture in food processor or blender; process until smooth.
- Pour into remaining mixture.
- Stir in milk, water and mustard; heat 1 to 2 minutes until hot.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Needed salt and pepper, but otherwise a good recipe. I used rice milk in place of regular milk.
Quick & easy, but very watery for a 'cream' soup, and kind of bland. If I make it again, I'd either add some flour to the saute, or no water and less chicken broth. I added salt, which it needed desperately. Needs an herb peck-me-up, too -- perhaps some thyme?
Lovely winter supper dish! I forgot to add the shredded cheese garnish, but we didn't miss it. I tossed in a leftover grilled half piece of New York style bratwurst ( maybe 2 oz, diced into tiny bits) and it added a nice depth to the flavor. Used red potatoes with skins left on, diced into 1/2" cubes and added a tsp of no sodium chicken bullion granules to enhance the chicken broth flavor. Everyone had seconds and now I wish I had doubled the recipe so I'd have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.