Recipe by Linorama
Spring means fresh asparagus, and what better way to celebrate than with this flavorful, pretty soup? It's creamy without any cream, and incorporates lots of veggies. Using margarine will keep it completely dairy free. It's best fresh, so I normally cut the recipe in half. From The Daily Soup cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock, homemade or canned
- 1 medium potato, peeled & grated
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus, stems peeled & sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds,tips set aside
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Directions See How It's Made
- In soup pot, melt butter or margarine over medium heat; add onion, celery& carrots and cook until tender (4-5 minutes.) Add salt, thyme, bay leaves, mustard seeds and pepper, stirring to coat the veggies.
- Add stock, potato, and sliced asparagus; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat& partially cover, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, puree half the soup in a blender or processor, and return to the pot- or use a stick blender right in the pot.
- Add the reserved asparagus tips and simmer 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the garlic.
- Garnish each serving with the chopped fresh dill.