Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Spring means fresh asparagus, and what better way to celebrate than with this flavorful, pretty soup? It's creamy without any cream, and incorporates lots of veggies. Using margarine will keep it completely dairy free. It's best fresh, so I normally cut the recipe in half. From The Daily Soup cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock, homemade or canned
- 1 medium potato, peeled & grated
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus, stems peeled & sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds,tips set aside
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- In soup pot, melt butter or margarine over medium heat; add onion, celery& carrots and cook until tender (4-5 minutes.) Add salt, thyme, bay leaves, mustard seeds and pepper, stirring to coat the veggies.
- Add stock, potato, and sliced asparagus; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat& partially cover, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, puree half the soup in a blender or processor, and return to the pot- or use a stick blender right in the pot.
- Add the reserved asparagus tips and simmer 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the garlic.
- Garnish each serving with the chopped fresh dill.
This soup recipe is fantastic..... hot or cold. Out of mustard seeds, I substituted Ajwain seeds and homemade chicken broth.
A good soup for the spring, I didn't put thyme and bay leaves because I didn't have any, and substituted the dill (which I don't like) with chives; it was tasty and light, perhaps not too creamy, and a tablespoon low-fat sour cream swirled in the plate added a nice texture and good looks! I'll sure make this again, thanks!