Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A rich and creamy favourite comfort food in our house...
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice (arborio is best)
- 4 cups homogenized milk
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sultana raisin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine rice, milk, sugar and salt. Bring just to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to very low, add raisins, cover and simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for about 50 minutes or until rice is very tender and pudding is thickened and creamy (it will thicken more as it cools).
- Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat and let stand, uncovered until just warm, stirring occasionally (pudding may also be served cold).
- Transfer to dessert dishes and sprinkle with cinnamon.
I'm doing a happy dance right now, because after trying countless rice pudding recipes, this one is the one. I was truly getting worried that rice pudding would be 'the dish' that I couldn't master no matter how hard I tried, and little did I know, it was the kind of rice I was using that was the problem. My dd didn't care for it too much, but I believe it's a texture thing. I, however, could easily eat the entire pot. Thanks for posting !