Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe used to be on the side of the Creamettes Macaroni box. It is my favorite baked macaroni and cheese recipe.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni in 5 quarts boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain macaroni.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, mustard, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cheese to milk mixture and stir until melted.
- Stir in macaroni.
- Turn into greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
This is also my favorite baked mac and cheese recipe. I got it off the Creamettes box maybe 20 years ago. I use more cheese though, and I only use Extra Sharp Cheddar - the Kraft Cracker Barrel red label. I do one more thing which was the result of a daydreaming error - I thought I was boiling water to cook collard greens. I put a whole peeled onion in the water while its coming to a boil for the pasta. It's my secret ingredient that gives a nice little kick. I take the onion out before I put in the pasta. MANY people have asked for my mac and cheese recipe.
My sister and I tried this recently while on a visit to our elderly father. We topped the casserole with some all-beef franks my father had in the fridge and popped the whole thing in the oven. The mac and cheese is very good, and very satisfying on a cold day. Good comfort food and very easy to make.
i am so thankful I finally found this recipe. I have been looking for along time but it's hard to find Creamette Brand Pasta. This how my Mom always made it. Thank you very much for posting!