- 8 -10 onions
- 16 -20 cloves, 2 per onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (onion cooking water and milk to complete)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stud each onion with 2 cloves.
- Place in sauce pan.
- Cover with water.
- Add 1 tbsp unsalted butter, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Boil for 1 hour and make sure the liquid has reduced to 1/2.
- Prepare medium white sauce with the butter, flour and onion cooking liquid.
- Pour the sauce over the drained onions.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and grated cheese.
- Brown in oven at 450 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.