Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Taken from "A Little Taste of India" by Bay Books. Which has a gem collection of selected recipies in various catagories
- 1 cup Urad Dal (black legume, available in Indian Grocery stores)
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 inches chopped fresh ginger
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2⁄3 cup whole cream
- Bring daal to boil in 6 cups water, lower heat and simmer for 1 hour or until daal feels soft. Drain daal and reserve liquid.
- Blend onion, garlic, ginger and chilli together in blender to form a paste, or finely chop them together with a knife.
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry onion mixture over high heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Add cumin and corriander and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the daal, salt, chilli powder and garam masala. Pour 300 mel or 1 1/4 cups of reserved liquid into pan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving stir in the cream and simmer 2 minutes to heat through.