This classic, budget-friendly dish from the past is just as good at is always was -- especially if you skip the salty, canned mushroom soup and make it with good, homemade chicken stock (I suggest Crock Pot Chicken Stock ), and frozen peas instead of canned peas. This particular version is a bit richer in meat than strictly necessary so if your budget is especially tight you can cut it down and it will be fine. Use water-packed tuna to be diet-friendly as well as budget-friendly. Note -- cooking time includes the 5 minute rest at the end.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water or 1 cup cooked chicken
- 4 cups chicken stock (I suggest Crock Pot Chicken Stock )
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup milk
- 4 -5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped mushroom (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Drain tuna or chop chicken finely.
- 2Bring chicken stock (and optional mushrooms if desired), to a boil. Add celery seed and thyme.
- 3Use a fork or a whisk to combine cornstarch with cold milk. Adjust amount according to whether you want a thicker or thinner sauce. Add to boiling stock, reduce heat, and stir until the sauce simmers gently.
- 4Add tuna/chicken, peas, and sherry.
- 5Heat through and season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- 6Remove from heat. Let sit, keeping warm, for 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- 7Serve over the starch of your choice -- rice, toast points, noodles, cornbread (I suggest recipe Basic, Frugal Cornbread ), biscuits, etc.
- 8Note -- if you have no homemade chicken stock I suggest using a good soup base (Tones brand is available in Sam's Club). Both bullion cubes and canned chicken broth are inferior substitutes for real stock and a dish this simple depends on the quality of the ingredients for good flavor.
- 9Tip -- if you enjoy tuna casserole but have give it up because of the salt in the mushroom soup try using a suitable quantity of this recipe (with or without the peas), as a substitute for the diluted soup.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Tuna or Chicken With Peas
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.5
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 36.2 mg
- Sodium 442.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 21.2 g