Recipe by Possumstew
I've been eating creamed tomatoes over biscuits or cornbread my entire life. It's so yummy! For those who've never had it, it tastes similar to creamy tomato soup, but it's thicker. I grew up in rural West Virginia, and everyone always called it creamed tomatoes, but a few years ago, I found out that some people call it tomato gravy. Either way, it's the same thing. My hubby also likes to pour it over his fried or mashed potatoes! I hope you enjoy it. It's always been one of those down home comfort foods for me! Serve with homemade biscuits. Here's a link to a really good recipe! https://www.recipezaar.com/26110
- 946.0 ml canned tomato (or juice if you don't like chunks)
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml milk
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour tomatoes in a saucepan or skillet.
- Add butter.
- Simmer over medium heat about 15 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender. (If using juice, then just bring it up to a simmer, and continue.).
- After tomatoes are tender, mix your flour and milk in a bowl until smooth, and add to tomatoes, stirring well.
- Add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.
- If it's too thick, add a little more milk. If it's too thin, either simmer on low until it's the desired thickness, or mix up a bit more flour and milk and add to your tomatoes.
- That's it! Serve over homemade biscuits, cornbread, potatoes, or whatever you like!