Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A different twist to creamed toast...add sausage meatballs! Sausage meatballs may be made ahead and warmed just before serving.
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 slices toast
- Sausage Meatballs: Mix all ingredients together.
- Form into 20 small meatballs.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes in 350 degrees F oven turning them once.
- Remove from sheet and place on paper towels.
- Set aside.
- Cream Sauce: Melt butter in small saucepan.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil.
- Slice hot toast into strips and place in two bowls.
- Sprinkle toast strips with meatballs (10 per bowl).
- Pour cream sauce over both.
- Serve at once.