Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My 'middle' son won't eat anything with 'green' in it. He will eat this though. Very simple and delicious.
- 3 lbs spinach, washed well
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted lightly
- Cook spinach in the water clinging to the leaves, covered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until it is wilted.
- Drain spinach in a colander, refresh under cold water, and squeeze dry by handfuls.
- Transfer spinach to the processor, add broth and puree mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook shallot in the butter over moderately-low heat, stirring, until translucent.
- Add spinach puree and sour cream.
- Combine mixture well.
- Stir in lemon juice, sugar, nutmeg and season to taste.
- Cook mixture, stirring, until just heated through.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with almonds.
I guess I should have read this better. I didn`t realize this was a puree! This was like a cream soup. This would be great as a garnish dotted on a plate. I just wasn`t crazy about this.