Recipe by CaribbeanQueen
I made this last night and my husband said "WOW"! Not the reaction I expected from a spinach dish. We had left-overs today - still a "WOW". Use the jalapenos to your personal taste. If you're worried about the heat, seed and deveine them.
Top Review by lglowicki
I've been making a variation (slight) of this every Thanksgiving and Christmas for about 30 years. Mine uses cayenne for heat rather than jalops. Too spicy for some, but we love it.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 2⁄3 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 -3 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter a small casserole dish.
- Place the spinach in a microwave-safe bowl, and cook in the microwave 5 minutes on High, until heated through. Drain well, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- Melt 2 T. butter in small saucepan over medium heat, and stir in the bread crumbs until well coated. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 T. butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Mix in onion and garlic, and cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in reserved spinach liquid, evaporated milk, cheese, and jalapeno. Season with celery salt and pepper. Mix in the spinach. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and golden browned.