Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
You would never guess that this rich and creamy spinach is a lower-fat version. The secret is low-fat feta cheese and fat-free cream cheese and half-and-half. The white sauce is made without butter or oil. I served this for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it!
- 1⁄4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup half & half light cream
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 3 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1)In a sauce pan, whisk half and half, milk, flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until smooth.
- 2)Stirring constantly, heat over medium heat until it simmers, then reduce heat.
- 3)Add cream cheese and continue stirring (whisking) until thick and smooth, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 4)Remove from heat and stir in feta cheese. Set aside.
- 5)Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pan and sauté onions for 5 minutes then add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- 6)Add spinach and water to pan, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and cover pan.
- 7)Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 8)Drain well.
- 9)Stir prepared sauce into pan, stir until completely blended.
- 10)Pour into greased casserole dish, top with parmesan cheese, and bake at 375 degrees for 4 to 6 minutes.