Creamed Spinach with Croutons
- Wash the spinach in cold water; drain.
- Drop into a kettle of boiling salted water.
- Return the water to a boil.
- Cook slowly, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Drain the spinach in a colander.
- Immediately rinse under cold running water for 1 minute. Squeeze the spinach, a handful at a time, to extract as much water as possible. Chop very fine. Heat the butter until bubbling in a saucepan over moderately high heat. Stir in the spinach.
- Continue stirring for 2 to 3 minutes until all moisture has evaporated.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lower the heat to moderate. Sprinkle on the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the cream by spoonfuls while stirring until 2/3 cup has been added.
- Return to the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook very slowly for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding the remaining 1/3 cup cream by spoonfuls.
- Remove the spinach from the heat. Stir in the butter (1 Tbsp). Transfer the creamed spinach to a deep serving dish and mound it decoratively with a spatula.
- Garnish the spinach with sieved egg yolks and croutons.
- For the Croutons: Cut decorative shapes out of the bread using a Christmas cookie cutter.
- Toast the bread under the preheated broiler.
- Place around the spinach for garnish.