This is by far the best creamed spinach recipe that I have ever tasted! My mother got married in early Nov and my brother (a chef) served Bar-B-Qued Filet Mignon, oven roasted red potatoes, this creamed spinach, salad and garlicy cheesy bread - Talk about heaven!! The creamed spinach stole the show and 1/2 the guests left with the recipe! He found the recipe on the internet, it is a copy cat recipe of Boston Market's creamed spinach. (I think it's better).
- 5 tablespoons butter (divided) or 5 tablespoons margarine (divided)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt 3 Tbls butter.
- Stir flour and salt into pan until creamed together.
- Slowly stir in cream, then stir in cream cheese, increase heat to medium.
- Constantly whisk until mixture becomes thick and smooth, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic in remaining butter until transparent.
- Add spinach and water to pan, reduce heat to low, cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes.
- Stir prepared sauce and Parmesan cheese into pan, stir until completely blended.