Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love creamed spinach, and this is a way to dress it up a bit. From Real Simple Magazine November 2005.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus more for the dish)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise
- 5 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated gruyere or 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub the sides and bottom of a buttered 8-inch baking dish with the garlic; discard garlic.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove any excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine spinach, cream cheese, heavy cream, milk, Gruyere or Swiss cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and shallots. Transfer to dish.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbling and lightly golden, about 25 minutes.
This is a delicious spinach casserole. I reduced the recipe by 1/2 and there was plenty for dinner and some leftovers. I did not have gruyere (which is my preference) -- used the grated swiss cheese with no other changes. This dish comes out of the oven rich, bubbly and delicious. Made for Everyday is a Holiday, October, 2013.