- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus more for the dish)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise
- 5 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated gruyere or 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub the sides and bottom of a buttered 8-inch baking dish with the garlic; discard garlic.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove any excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine spinach, cream cheese, heavy cream, milk, Gruyere or Swiss cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and shallots. Transfer to dish.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbling and lightly golden, about 25 minutes.