1/3 Photos of Creamed Spinach Berghoff--Chicago
The Berghoff in Chicago is closed now, after 107 years. My parents used to take us kids to Chicago at least annually; morning was spent at one of the many wonderful museums, the afternoon at Marshall Field's (also sadly gone now) and lunch always at The Berghoff. And, of course, we all loved the creamed spinach (and the fresh rootbeer and the weinerschnitzel...). Many years ago, my mom was thrilled when Creamed Spinach Berghoff was printed in the "You Asked for It" column in Gourmet magazine; she passed it on to me. I admit that I use a 10 oz box of frozen spinach; otherwise I follow the recipe faithfully.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch 1# spinach for one minute.
- 2Drain it in a colander and refresh it under cold running water.
- 3Squeeze the spinach well and with a stainless steel knife, chop it fine.
- 4In a small skillet, cook 1 onion, minced, in 2 T unsalted butter, over moderately low heat, stirring, for 5 minutes or until it is softened.
- 5In a heavy saucepan, cook 3 slices of bacon, minced, over moderately low heat, until they are crispy.
- 6Add 2 T flour to the bacon and cook the roux, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 7Add 1 C scalded half and half cream in a stream, whisking.
- 8Whisk the mixture until it is smooth and simmer it for 10 minutes.
- 9Stir in spinach, the onion and freshly grated netmeg and salt to taste.
- 10Transfer to a heated serving dish.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Spinach Berghoff--Chicago
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.7
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 49.2 mg
- Sodium 257.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 7.7 g