Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe is guaranteed to put a smile on any spinach-lover's face and will compliment any meal, since this is a creamed spinach recipe it is not a dish that bakes out totally firm. To remove the bitterness from the frozen spinach I like to microwave it in a little water for 10 minutes or until boiling, rinse until cold water then squeeze dry, if you don't mind the strong taste then you can omit this step. Prep time does not include cooking the bacon.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
Truly a spinach recipe par excellence! :) I omitted the cayenne pepper (personal taste preference) and added some cumin. My only other addition was one leek - as I love the blend of flavours from onion, garlic and leek - which I added with the onion. Otherwise I made this exactly to the recipe and wouldn't want to change a thing. I used fresh mushrooms - Swiss browns. We allowed this recipe to take centre stage for tonight's dinner and enjoyed it with a simple rice dish. One of those great finds recipes! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderfully delicious recipe, KITTENCAL. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (cooked until crisp then chopped)
- 1 (300 g) package frozen spinach (thawed under hot water then squeeze dry)
- 5 tablespoons butter (or use the bacon grease from the bacon it must be at least 5 tablespoons)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh garlic
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (or use fresh sauteed sliced mushroomed)
- 3 tablespoons flour (use 4 tablespoons for a thicker sauce)
- 2 cups 18% cereal cream (or use half and half cream)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 9-inch baking dish (or use an 8 x 8-inch baking dish).
- In a medium saucepan melt 5 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in onions and saute for about 4 minutes (or until soft).
- Add in garlic, mushrooms, cooked bacon, cayenne pepper and seasoned salt, saute for 1 minute.
- Add in flour and stir with a wooden spoon and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the cream; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and smooth (this should take about 3-4 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the spinach and stir until combined and mixed into the cream sauce.
- Mix in the cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese; stir until the cheese has melted.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 (or to taste) Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly.
- Let sit for 20 minutes before spooning out of the baking dish, this only gets better the longer you leave it sit, but you won't be able to keep your spoon out of the dish lol!.