Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt (To taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 16 fluid ounces milk
- Drain the spinach well and squeeze out excess moisture with your hands; chop finely and set aside.
- Fry the bacon in heavy skillet until crisp; remove, drain and chop.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the bacon drippings; add flour, Seasoned Salt and pepper and blend thoroughly.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add the spinach and bacon; heat through and serve.
This was yummy! My hubbie loves creamed spinach, so I had to try this recipe. I used turkey bacon, as we prefer it, and it came out great. There was a ton left, with just the two of us, so I used the extra (about half the recipe) to make a quiche the next night. I put the leftover Creamed Spinach and Bacon in a crust-lined pie plate, covered with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, then topped this with a mixture of 4 beaten eggs, 1 cup milk (not half-and-half, as I think this would be too rich with the creaminess of the original recipe,) and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then at 300 for about 30-45 minutes. This way, I got two winning dishes from your recipe. Thanks a bunch!
Great recipe! I'd definitely recommed using it. I used the leftovers in a garbage quiche the next day (I also used my leftover turkey)
Mille@ I hope you are looking down at us, and watching us devour your recipe for *Creamed Spinach and Bacon* which; honestly, was some of the best I have ever had. Maybe it was just thinking of you, and all the recipes you left for us to try, maybe it is the black icon that merely states you are absent, but I hope if people find this simple recipe, they will also give it a try. There is absolutely nothing I changed, except I used fresh spinach (you would love that!) instead of frozen, and just stirred in the fresh into the delicious sauce, and having it melt, and become creamed. Oh what a great taste. You should of been here, but I am betting you were. Thank you!