Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is such a simple and good side dish. From Family Circle Magazine.
- 5 (6 ounce) bags baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk, plus more for thinning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- Rinse spinach leaves.
- Place half of the leaves in a 3 quart saucepan.
- Cover; cook over medium-high heat until wilted, about 5 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
- Add remaining spinach leaves to pot as the first batch"shrinks".
- Cook spinach until it is all wilted, about another 5 minutes.
- Drain spinach; let cool.
- When cool, squeeze spinach to remove excess water, then chop fine.
- Return to sauce pan.
- In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Whisk in warm milk.
- Bring mixture to simmering; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Remove from heat; whisk in cream cheese until smooth.
- Scrape cheese sauce into saucepan with spinach.
- Stir over medium-low heat until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- For a more liquid consistency, if desired, thin with another 2 tbs milk.
Very good and super easy. This really goes together fast. I would cut the salt back a bit, but other than that, it was perfect.