Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This makes a nice accompaniment to tomato-based dishes like pasta with marinara sauce or meatloaf with tomato sauce.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it bubbles.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour starts to brown.
- Add the half & half and blend well, using a wire whisk if necessary.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add nutmeg and grated parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese melts.
- Stir in spinach.
- Serve immediately.
Very easy and quick to make. I used this as a pasta sauce with some good quality pasta and it made a very pleasant meal. It is a little bland but this will vary with the brand of parmesan you use so it is certanly not enough reason for me to knock off a star as I really enjoyed this anyway!