Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
I created this recipe one evening when I wanted something just a little bit special to serve my husband. It's so simple, yet tastes so very rich.
- 1 box frozen spinach
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup drained yogurt, , plain
- 2 tablespoons fresh, grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- I keep drained yogurt available in my fridge all the time.
- I use a coffee filter and a wire strainer.
- I usually drain it over night, but even a half hour makes a big difference.
- Once you drain the yogurt, it becomes very thick and much less tart.
- Cook spinach according to package directions.
- While it cooks, saute chopped onions until slightly browned.
- Drain spinach well and combine with all other ingredients while still hot.
I was very hopeful for this recipe, but it was a "fail" for me. :o( It's only my fault for not knowing that if you put too much heat to yogurt it will curdle. I used Greek yogurt and added it to my cooked fresh spinach, THEN (about 15 seconds later) turned the heat off. I was bummed because creamed spinach is one of my favorites and this ended up like spinach with cottage cheese mixed in. I'll try again, though!
Very good, very easy, and much lower fat than a standard "creamed" spinach recipe! I love yogurt to replace sour cream or heavy cream. I didn't drain my yogurt, because it is pretty thick to begin with. I used 2% plain yogurt, homemade, and one box (10 oz.) of frozen chopped spinach. The kids didn't love this, but DH and I sure did! Thanks, Sherry Karaoke!
This was really good! A very unusual taste for spinach. It was quite sweet, but then I forgot to add the parmesan :0P! Never mind, it was really good and I'll certainly make spinach this way again! Especially since it's a creamy spinach without the fat of cream.