Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This cream soup substitute has less calories, fat and sodium than your canned ones from the store.
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup instant chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients, mix well and store in an air-tight container.
- To Prepare one can of substitute----------------.
- Stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1 1/4 cups water in a saucepan.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- This will substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in your recipes.
What a great recipe find! I like the light flavor of the generic soup, which allows you to flavor it to match the recipe you need it in. I sauted chopped mushrooms and added to the mix for a great cream of mushroom base. I then used it as a cover for baked pork chops - good stuff!!
What a great resource! This gives us far more versatility in the kitchen than having to shop for or stock each indifidual soup variation. Shelf-stable make-your-own stuff is a lifeline for budget-conscious cooks. Thanks!
This is fantastic!!! It is nice to find an alternative to the red and white can that is not only gluten free, but frugal to boot!!! I always appreciate recipes that take a commercial product full of preservatives and what=nots and break it down to it simplest form!