From Penzey's magazine (Vol. 2, Issue 4). It is attributed to Hope Fagant of Lancaster, New York. I tweaked it just a bit to match my own tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cooked shrimp
- 8 ounces crabmeat (canned, drained)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, small, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon seafood soup base
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 baby portabella mushrooms, sliced (cremini mushrooms)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese (grated, fresh, best you can afford)
- 1In a large skillet, melt butter with olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until just tender (3-5 minutes).
- 2Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a light golden brown (about 1 minute).
- 3Slowly add milk and whisk until thick and smooth (may take 5-15 minutes to thickenk).
- 4Add the soup base and mix in well.
- 5Add red pepper and simmer until pepper is just tender -- maybe another 5 minutes.
- 6Add shrimp, crab, mushrooms, spinach, and Parmesan, and simmer just until everything is warmed through and tender. Don't overcook, or you'll get tough, chewy shrimp.
- 7Season with salt and pepper to taste, or hot sauce if that sounds good to you.
- 8Serve over pasta, rice, couscous, biscuits -- whatever you like.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Seafood and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.4
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 186.5 mg
- Sodium 851.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 37.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seafood soup base