Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This sausage mixture takes very little time to put together, and when poured over freshly baked biscuits, the results are out of this world! It's a great dish for breakfast or brunch. (See my recipe for Southern Bisquits.)
- Sausage Mixture: Break sausage into bits in a large frying pan.
- Add diced onions.
- Fry onions and sausage together until both are browned.
- Drain mixture onto paper towels and set aside.
- White Sauce: To make a white sauce, an easy method is to use a medium or large saucepan, and it requires constant attendance, but it only takes a few minutes to make a delicious sauce.
- Melt the butter over a low flame.
- Add the flour and stir continuously.
- (You do not want the flour to brown; rather, stir the flour and butter and watch carefully as this slow cooking method takes the starch flavor away and makes for a better sauce.) Just as the flour mixture is beginning to color and looks like it might get brown, slowly add some milk and keep stirring.
- As the mixture thickens, add more milk and keep stirring, careful that the sauce doesn't burn.
- Soon, the sauce will be at the right consistency depending upon how much milk you use-- you'll want a thick sauce, not thin.
- Add the sausage and onion mixture to the sauce, and mix well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the creamed sausage over freshly baked bisquits.
- (Cooking time is included in preparation time.).