Recipe by *Parsley*
Really good way to enjoy sauerkraut.
Top Review by norman94015
Excellent recipe. A couple of variations to consider: add sliced mushrooms. Sautée them with the onions. Use arrowroot instead of flour for a gluten free alternative. Use half milk and half cream (or even all milk) for a lighter taste.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 (32 ounce) can sauerkraut, well drained
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute the onion in the butter over med-high heat until the onion is translucent.
- Reduce heat to low and add the caraway seeds.
- Stir in the flour until it is well combined and cook on low for 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until everything is heated through. Do not allow to boil.