Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Really good way to enjoy sauerkraut.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 (32 ounce) can sauerkraut, well drained
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the onion in the butter over med-high heat until the onion is translucent.
- Reduce heat to low and add the caraway seeds.
- Stir in the flour until it is well combined and cook on low for 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until everything is heated through. Do not allow to boil.
Excellent recipe. A couple of variations to consider: add sliced mushrooms. Sautée them with the onions. Use arrowroot instead of flour for a gluten free alternative. Use half milk and half cream (or even all milk) for a lighter taste.
We enjoyed this. I had bavarian sauerkraut which already contains caraway seed and sugar, but added more anyway. Next time I will leave out the vinegar; I don't think it really adds anything. This was a different way to have sauerkraut as a side with roast pork.
I had to register to review this recipe, one of my favorites as a kids was sauerkraut and pork hocks, mom always just used a simple white sauce with her home made sauerkraut but I decided to try this instead, I'm in heaven right now, too bad my girlfriend and kids don't care for it (too bad for them haha)