Recipe by Azuki!
Many people have asked me for this recipe. It is ridiculously easy. I like to serve it with baby green beans (steamed, tossed in olive oil, salted).
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup split red lentils (aka "masoor dal")
- 10 large red potatoes, quartered
- 5 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary (and more for garnish if desired)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric (for color) (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (for color) (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse lentils thoroughly. Drain.
- Bring water, oil, potatoes, and lentils to boil in wide stock pot, uncovered (water needs to boil off so lentils will be creamy instead of soupy). Boil rapidly for 10 minutes, and then use a spoon to remove white foam from water's surface. Reduce heat to medium. After simmering for 10 minutes, add garlic and rosemary and continue simmering. Check frequently, tucking potatoes and lentils back under water as necessary.
- When lentils are dissolved and potatoes are soft, gently stir in salt, spices, and lemon.
- Remove woody parts of rosemary stems. Serve potatoes hot, garnished with fresh rosemary sprigs.