Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A touch of garlic and an accent of nutmeg give this potato soup a different and exciting flavor. It is excellent served hot or chilled, as a first course or in large bowls it is a delicious main course for a lunch or supper. Deliiossso!!!
- 4 potatoes, medium size, peeled
- 1 onion, small and peeled
- 4 green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Cut potatoes into eighths, cut onions into eighths. Coarsley chop the green onions. Add along with the garlic to the butter in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Add onion to butter and saute for 1 minute Add the potatoes and pour in the broth.
- Simmer for 20 minute or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree soup in food processor or blender in batches that will suit the size of the appliance you are using.
- Add cream, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg to soup. Chill if served cold, reheat to servign temperature if served hot.
- Garnish servings of hot soup with croutons, cold soup chopped chives.
This is a lovely soup. It's smooth, delicate and silky. I have several potato soup recipes that I make over and over, and this is one of them. If you're looking for strong bold flavors, look somewhere else, but if you want a soup that is subtle in flavor; you've found it! I used 1 cup of coconut milk and 3/4 cup of coconut creamer to make it dairy free. Enjoy!
Delicious and easy to make. I agree that the two types of onion and garlic add nice flavor. I used a bit more than a dash of nutmeg and pureed about 90% of the soup, leaving just a few random chunks for texture. Thanx for a very enjoyable soup!