Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Makes 2 3-quart casseroles.
- 10 lbs medium potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup butter, plus
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Place potatoes in a large stockpot or soup kettle; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain and rinse in cold water. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and cut into 1/4 inch slices; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2/3 cup butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth and cream.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir 1 cup hot cream mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan; stirring constantly. Add parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup sauce into each of two 3-quart baking dishes. Top with a third of the potato slices. Repeat layers twice.
- Spread with remaining sauce.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casseroles.
- Bake uncovered, at 375* for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.