1/2 Photos of Creamed Potato and Pumpkin Soup
1 hr 10 mins
Janette's kitchen's Note:
This is a delicious version of potato and pumpkin soup. I use Kent (jap) pumpkin which is slightly sweeter than most. It is a hearty soup which can be eaten as a main meal particularly during winter; serve it with warm crusty bread. In fact I only make it during autumn and winter. I use a Bamix to puree the soup in the pot which saves having to scoop it into a blender or food processor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces margarine
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 lbs pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 12 ounces potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- freshly chopped coriander (cilantro) or parsley (to garnish)
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan and sauté onions and garlic very gently until soft but not browned.
- 2Add pumpkin and potatoes and cook for a few minutes, then add tomato paste, stock, seasonings, lemon juice and allspice and bring to boil.
- 3Cover pan and simmer gently for about 40 minutes or until very tender.
- 4Puree in a blender or food processor and return to a clean pan.
- 5Add milk and bring back to boil, whisking continuously. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasonings and stir in sour cream.
- 6Reheat and serve sprinkled generously with coriander or parsley.
- 7Without the addition of cream this soup may be frozen for up to 3 months.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Potato and Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.1
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 43.7 mg
- Sodium 287.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 9.3 g