Recipe by ClareVH
Not too creamy, just enough to hold everything together.
Top Review by oilpatchjo
ClareVH, Thank you so much, for this lovely recipe. I used some whipping creme I had on hand instead of milk, as well I used freeze dried dill. My impression of this recipe is that the dill added another dimension to the overall flavour. I served the creamed peas over fresh fettuccine with recipe # 211485. I will make this again using Shiitake mushrooms which we love. My DH the pea hater, unless they are picked that day from the garden and cooked said, "This one is a keeper"! This recipe goes into my beloved Holiday Collection recipe cookbook. Again thank you so much for sharing.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 6 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream, divided
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dill weed (fresh is best)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan,over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy.
- Do not drain fat.
- Add onion and mushrooms to the pan and saute with the bacon until the mushrooms begin to"sweat" (shrink and lose their juice).
- Combine the cornstarch with one tablespoon of the half and half and stir to make a thin paste.
- Add to vegetable mixture and stir.
- Add the rest of the half and half and continue stirring until it begins to simmer, then add the frozen peas and dill weed.
- Return to a simmer and cook until sauce thickens, about another minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.