Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
So creamy, buttery and yummy. This is one of my top comfort foods. Depending on how many mouths you want to feed, the milk is a MAJOR estimate!! My family can easily use almost a whole 2 litre carton. Prep time is an estimate.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk (plus more as needed)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans peas, drained (large can)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or pot.
- When butter is almost melted, add the flour and stir it until a paste forms. DON'T LET IT BURN!
- Add the 2 cups of milk and stir constantly on high heat until it thickens. Do not stop stirring or the bottom will burn.
- When it is quite thick, add a little more milk to thin it. Then continue stirring until it has thickened again.
- Repeat this step as needed until there is as much white sauce as you think you need. We usually have quite a lot.
- Salt, Pepper and/or parmesan cheese can be added at this point, if desired.
- When all milk has been added, and sauce has thickened again, add the drained peas. Stir.
- Serve on warm, buttered toast, with more grated parmesan on top. Mmmm.