Recipe by KT_Z
So creamy, buttery and yummy. This is one of my top comfort foods. Depending on how many mouths you want to feed, the milk is a MAJOR estimate!! My family can easily use almost a whole 2 litre carton. Prep time is an estimate.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk (plus more as needed)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans peas, drained (large can)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or pot.
- When butter is almost melted, add the flour and stir it until a paste forms. DON'T LET IT BURN!
- Add the 2 cups of milk and stir constantly on high heat until it thickens. Do not stop stirring or the bottom will burn.
- When it is quite thick, add a little more milk to thin it. Then continue stirring until it has thickened again.
- Repeat this step as needed until there is as much white sauce as you think you need. We usually have quite a lot.
- Salt, Pepper and/or parmesan cheese can be added at this point, if desired.
- When all milk has been added, and sauce has thickened again, add the drained peas. Stir.
- Serve on warm, buttered toast, with more grated parmesan on top. Mmmm.