Recipe by lazyme
From Cooking Light, this sounds like it would be a great side dish during the holidays.
Top Review by ueckeka
Just had this dish with baked ham and it was a good choice. Very flexible ingredients allow for different tastes. I used frozen peas, steamed for 10 min. before adding to sauce, and leftover chopped onions.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs English peas, fresh
- 1 1⁄2 cups white pearl onions (1/2 pound)
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell and wash peas; set aside.
- Remove outer skin from onions.
- Combine peas and onions in a large saucepan; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and cook 10 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Add milk and next 4 ingredients to saucepan; stir well.
- Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Return peas and onions to saucepan; stir well.
- Yield: 3 servings (serving size: 1 cup).