Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
A yummy way to enjoy peas. Delicious with fresh peas when they're in season.
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half (or evaporated milk)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook frozen peas according to package directions; set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium low heat saute the green onions and the mushrooms in the butter until just soft, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan; stir. Gradually add in milk stirring constantly to make a smooth sauce.
- Add seasonings and continue stirring until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Add cooked peas to sauce in pan and heat through.
Good peas!! The sauce makes this side dish very rich so I could see serving it with fish or skinless chicken breast next time. I like the spice combo, the thyme comes through the strongest and I love thyme. I used evaporated milk and granulated white pepper and granulated garlic powder for extra flavor. Thanks for the recipe!!
Had to use up some mushrooms, but didn't have enough for a meal and since I just love peas, I picked this recipe. I'm not fond of overcooked peas, so I didn't pre-cook them. Instead I thawed them out and then heated them up in the sauce. Perfect. :)
We have tried a lot of creamed peas recipes. DH was so impressed that he ate half of these by himself! The seasoning combination was delicous. Thanks!