Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is best with fresh sweet green peas right out of the garden. My mom uses this recipe and it is a favorite of my family. Adapted from Gooseberry Patch Celebrate Summer.
Top Review by Evie*
I was searching for a recipe that jazzed up peas and came across this..it was perfect as I had some cream that I needed to use up...I used frozen baby peas and they worked fine and tasted great..but I'm sure fresh ones would only make it better. Thanks Di.
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups peas, freshly shelled
- 3 tablespoons cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt the butter in the oil over low heat.
- Add the onion; cook for about 15 minutes or until tender and golden; stir occasionally.
- Add peas and just enough water to reach the top of the peas.
- Bring to a simmer; cover and cook for 15 minutes or until peas are very tender.
- Add cream and cook until the liquid thickens into a sauce--about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.