Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe can be doubled, and I really suggest you do, this is absolutely delicious! Of coarse you can use fresh peas cooked to just firm-tender, but frozen peas and small whole onions, make this dish easier!
Top Review by kittycatmom
I'm so glad I doubled this recipe! My Dad asked me to find something his DM used to make when he was a kid. Of course the first place I looked was at Kittens recipes! Never a disappointment! This was exactly what I wanted! This went perfectly with the Easter Ham! Thank you Kitt! Delicious as always! ;)
- 2 lbs small red potatoes (preferably new potatoes, skin on or off)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no subs!)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups full-fat milk (can use half and half)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (can use more if desired)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen baby peas, thawed and well drained (can use fresh cooked to firm-tender)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen small whole onions, thawed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Do not cut the small potatoes, leave whole and place then in a pot of boiling salted water; boil for about 20 minutes or until just fork-tender, drain and cool, then cut in half (this can be done well in advance).
- Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add in the chopped garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add in flour and whisk for 2 minutes (do not brown the flour).
- Gradually add in the full-fat milk (or half and half if using) bring to a simmer whisking continously for 1 minute.
- Add in the whipping cream; mix to combine, then add in the Parmesan cheese (sauce will be thick but will thin out slighty when you add in the peas and onions).
- Season with salt and lots of pepper or cayenne pepper; simmer over low heat for about 7-8 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in cooked potatoes, peas and onions; bring to a simmer and cook over low heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon until the onions are tender (about 5-6 minutes).
- Transfer to a large bowl, sprinkle with more grated Parmesan cheese and black pepper if desired.