Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you're a real creamed onion pig like we are, this will not serve four.
- 8 white onions
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Peel the onions.
- Parboil in about 3/4 cup water. (I do this part in a covered casserole in the microwave).
- Make white sauce with rest of ingredients.
- If you like a stronger onion flavor, thin the white sauce with part or all of the onion water.
- Otherwise, thin it with your choice of cream, milk, water, chicken broth or whatever flavor you like.
- Add onions and bake at 325 to 350 until bubbly.
I modified the approach by using small white boiling onions and substituting no-fat half and half--came out great on a cold December night!