1 hr 30 mins
This is an old-fashioned dish but the addition of wine & mustard makes it rather luxurious! It can be made up to 3 days in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb white pearl onion (about 4 cups)
- 1 (1 lb) bag peeled baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1For easy peeling, cut stem from onions; cook in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- 2Drain, rinse under cold water& slip out of their skins.
- 3Melt butter in a large heavy bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat.
- 4Add onions& cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 5 minutes; sprinkle with sugar.
- 5Continue to cook, stirring often, until golden- about 2 or 3 minutes.
- 6Stir in broth, wine, garlic& bay leaf, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- 7Partially cover& boil gently for 5 minutes.
- 8If any of the carrots are thicker than your baby finger, slice them lengthwise.
- 9Add carrots to the frying pan& continue cooking, stirring often until the onions can be easily pierced with a knifepoint, about 25 minutes.
- 10Remove the lid,& boil over high heat, stirring often, until the liquid is reduced to a glaze, from 12- 15 minutes.
- 11Remove bay leaf.
- 12If you aren't using right away, pour into storage container, cover& refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- 13Whisk cream& mustard together in a small bowl& stir into onion/carrot mixture.
- 14Cover& cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture comes to a boil.
- 15Uncover& simmer, stirring often, until the cream is reduced& coats the onions, about 2 minutes.
- 16Season to taste& sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Onions & Carrots
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.2
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 14.0 mg
- Sodium 249.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 1.8 g