This dish is a perfect addition to the traditional holiday turkey dinner. In my family, neither Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner would be complete without serving creamed onions.
- Fill a large stock pot with water and heat to a rolling boil.
- Add unpeeled onions and blanch for about 3 minutes.
- Drain and allow onions to cool.
- Re-fill stock pot with water and again heat to boiling temperature.
- Peel each onion by cutting the root end, not the tail end) and then squeezing the onion from its skin.
- Add the onions to the boiling water and cook until fork tender but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, stir together all remaining recipe ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boiling. Continue to cook and stir about one more minute, until sauce has thickened.
- Combine the fork tender cooked onions with the sauce and sprinkle with paprika.
We enjoyed the creamed onions with our turkey onThanksgiving and really enjoyed them. It's a bit of a task prepping the onions, but the result is well worth the effort. Thanks.