Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Originally from here: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Creamed-Onion-Gratin
- 2 yellow onions, cored & quartered
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, kosher and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Toss onions with oil in a 9″ × 11″ baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 1 hour; set aside.
- Heat oven to broil.
- Heat butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; add flour, and cook, stirring, until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add cream and wine, and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Season sauce with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Pour sauce evenly over onions.
- Sprinkle with parmesan, dot with Gorgonzola, and sprinkle with paprika; broil until cheese is melted and golden brown on top, about 2 minutes.