Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love pearl onions and when I found this recipe, I just loved it.
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesbaby white pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- In a large saucepan, place onions and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Drain well and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt the first 2 tablespoons of butter then add the flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook for one minute, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Add salt, pepper and ground mustard to the flour mixture.
- Add one cup of the cheese and stir constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Gently stir the drained onion into the cheese mixture.
- Pour this mixture into a lightly greased 1 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top.
- Lightly toss the breadcrumbs and thyme with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until heated through and top is golden brown.