1/4 Photos of Creamed Mushrooms on Toast
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Delicious garlicky, lemony creamed mushrooms for those lazy weekend breakfasts when you are not constrained by the need to be out the front door as soon as possible. These creamed mushrooms could also be used as a topping for meatloaves, steaks, chops or steamed vegetables, or as a sauce for pasta. It also makes a tasty supper on nights when you get home too late to really feel like making or eating a full meal. I have no idea now where I got this recipe from originally. It’s been in my recipe files for years. My mother used to cook mushrooms like this when we'd been mushrooming, and she tells me that her English grandmother, who was from Kent, used to make something similar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 400 g mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 1 cup half & half light cream
- 3/4 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 3/4 tablespoon oregano, chopped
- 3/4 tablespoon tarragon, chopped
- freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted (and buttered) (optional)
- tarragon leaf (to garnish)
- 1Melt the butter in a sauté pan, add the garlic and sauté for 1 or 2 minutes.
- 2Add the mushrooms to the pan and continue to sauté, stirring continuously for 3 minutes until the mushrooms have softened. Keep a careful eye on the garlic to make sure that it does not brown.
- 3Add the lemon juice and cook a further minute.
- 4Gradually add the light cream and cook gently until the mixture thickens.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste, and the chopped parsley, oregano and tarragon.
- 6Divide mixture among hot toast slices.
- 7Garnish with tarragon leaves and serve immediately.
- 8Or, if using as a topping or sauce, add to meat, vegetables or pasta just before serving - or serve it in a separate jug.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamed Mushrooms on Toast
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.4
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 54.6 mg
- Sodium 31.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 4.5 g