Recipe by cookiedog
This is from the Silver Palate cookbook. They can be spooned over buttered sourdough toast or serve as the filling for crepes or omelets.
Top Review by Lori Mama
Most excellent recipe! I made just a slight change. I cut the mushrooms in half and proceeded with the directions as listed and took them as a side to our family Christmas. It got raves all around. I look forward to trying them in crepes next time. :)
- 2 lbs firm fresh white mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and trim the stem ends. Cut the mushrooms into thick slices.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms, raise the heat, and toss and stir until mushrooms render their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat season mushrooms with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a bowl. Add the cream, Madeira and soy sauce to the juices in the skillet and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by about half.
- Return mushrooms to the skillet and simmer for another minute or two to heat through. Stir in the parsley and serve immediately.