Recipe by Darlene Summers
Great creamy mushroom soup. Serve with saltine crackers. Add a little crunch to the meal with celery sticks spread with cream cheese.
Top Review by Evie*
Great tasting mushroom soup, the addition of the cayenne and dry mustard gives it a nice little zing. It had the right amount of thickness that my family love and hit the spot on a chilly winter evening, served with crusty rolls. Thanks for sharing.
- 3 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon (or 3 cubes)
- 4 cups water, boiling
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine or 1⁄3 cup cooking sherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the bouillon in the boiling water and set to the side.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Combine flour, mustard and pepper.
- Stir into melted butter; cook till smooth and creamy.
- Stir in mushrooms and bouillon slowly.
- Cook on very low heat for about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Slowly heat cream in a small pan, but do not boil.
- Add cream and sherry to soup and stir till well blended.