Recipe by kiwidutch
Boy, do we loves potatoes and spinach. When I came across this recipe from Gourmet from 2001, I had to make it, and darn, if it isn't GREAT! I have made a few adaptations, but this is pretty close to the original.Cooks Notes: You may wish to substitute the heavy cream with 1 or 2% milk, I have even used non fat sour cream and thrown in a few cloves of roasted garlic. ZWT REGION: The Netherlands.
- 2 lbs boiling potatoes (preferably Yukon Gold)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces Baby Spinach (6 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover potatoes with salted cold water by 1 inch in a large saucepan and simmer, uncovered, until tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- While potatoes are simmering, bring cream, butter, salt, and pepper to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and keep warm, covered.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and cool slightly. Peel potatoes and mash in large saucepan.
- Stir spinach into warm cream, tossing to coat, and when slightly wilted (after about 1 minute), immediately add to potatoes. Mash potatoes until almost smooth. Serve immediately.