Recipe by Noo
This is a James Martin recipe that he used on his Christmas shows. I also use this recipe for part of our Christmas lunch, (or our Sunday roast) as it can be prepared well in advance and then finished in the oven just before serving. Leeks, cream and cheese are a match made in heaven and this is no exception. I hope you enjoy it.
Top Review by Anton Ego
Being the food snob that I am, I tend not to rave. But I will this time with 2 caveats: Step 2 says season to taste. This is absolutely critical, without it, the dish is too bland. Second: I used 3 1/2 Tbs butter and was glad that I did. This is definitely a dish to draw raves.
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 4 leeks
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 150 ml white wine
- 10 tablespoons double cream
- 250 g grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Gently fry the finely sliced leeks, shallots and thyme until soft. Pour in the wine and leave to bubble for approx 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and season to taste. Simmer for about 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish and cool.
- Preheat oven to Gas 4. Cover the leeks with the grated cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes.