- 2 lbs kale, tough stems discarded, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add chopped kale. Return to a boil and cook 2 mintues. Drain and press out most of the liquid.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and saute 3 minutes, until softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk. Bring to a low simmer and cook 3 - 5 minutes, until thickened. Stir in salt, nutmeg and pepper. Fold in kale until well coated with sauce.